Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
News Ashish Nehra Set to Retire After New Delhi T20I Against New Zealand
10-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Ashish Nehra Set to Retire After New Delhi T20I Against New Zealand
[Image: nehra_getty1.jpg]

New Delhi: Senior India pacer Ashish Nehra — who was recently recalled in the team — has informed the team management that he would like to bring down the curtains on his career after the T20I match against New Zealand on November 1.

A senior BCCI official told Cricketnext that the veteran pacer has already spoken to skipper Virat Kohli and coach Ravi Shastri and informed them about his decision to retire.

"What we have heard is that Nehra has spoken to the captain and coach and informed them about his decision to retire after the T20 match in Delhi. Nehra has requested for one last match at his home ground and wants to go out on a high," the official said.

Nehra was recently picked for the three-match T20 International series against Australia but he wasn't picked for the first two matches. Jasprit Bumrah and Bhuvneshwar Kumar have been in great form in limited over formats of the game recently and that because of that, Nehra has been warming the bench.

Making his India debut back in 1999 under Mohammed Azharuddin, Nehra has so far played 17 Tests, 120 ODIs and 26 T20 Internationals for the country. He has picked 44 Test wickets, besides 157 ODI and 34 T20 scalps.

The left-arm pacer was also part of the Indian team that lifted the ICC World Cup 2011 trophy. However, Nehra couldn't take part in the final due to a fractured finger.

Reportedly, few IPL franchises want to have Nehra on board as their bowling coach/mentor for next season of the league because of his expertise and vast knowledge of the game.

Earlier, Nehra was quoted as saying that he wants to play for another two years, but now it seems that that is not going to happen.

"The only one thing that I'm not happy is my body. I can play for another couple of years but it isn’t easy for a fast bowler at 38-39, especially considering the state of my body. But I am just trying my level best," Nehra was quoted as saying by ESPNCricinfo after he was selected for the Australia series.

"At times when I wake up, especially in the winter in Delhi, my knees are so sore, it is half an hour before I can even leave my bed and am able to walk," added Nehra.

Source:
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-12-2017, 03:00 PM
RE: Ashish Nehra Set to Retire After New Delhi T20I Against New Zealand
Ashish Nehra announces retirement from all forms of cricket

[Image: prv_1507797355.jpeg]

Ashish Nehra, the 38-year-old Indian pacer, announced his retirement from all forms of cricket on Thursday (October 12). He will bow out from the international scene after the first Twenty20 International against New Zealand which is set to be played at his home ground at the Feroz Shah Kotla on November 1.

"I have spoken to the team management as well as the chairman of selection committee. It can't get bigger than getting to retire in front of your home crowd," Nehra told journalists in Hyderabad ahead of the third T20I against Australia.

Nehra made his international debut in 1999 in the longest format of the game. However, it was in the 50-over format that he found success. He had a tremendous 2003 World Cup in South Africa, where India eventually ended as the runners-up. His spell of 6 for 23 against England in that competition remains his best figures in One-Day Internationals and also the best-ever by an Indian bowler in a World Cup game.

Knee and back injuries forced Nehra out of the international arena for close to four years. He made a comeback to the national team in the shorter format and on the back of consistent performances, the pacer was selected for the 2011 World Cup in India. He was a key member of the team that was eventually crowned champions, albeit a finger injury ruling him out of the final. Nehra never played an ODI for India after that.

Nehra was bought by Chennai Super Kings in the 2014 IPL auction. He had two good seasons for that franchise and the selectors recalled him for the T20Is against Australia in January 2016. He continued to be part of Indian squad in the shortest format and spearheaded the bowling attack in the 2016 edition of the T20 World Cup at home.

His last appearance in Indian colours was during the home T20I series against England earlier this year. After being omitted for the West Indies and Sri Lanka series, Nehra was recalled for Australia's T20I leg. Though he was part of the squad, he never took part in the training drills prior to the first T20I in Ranchi. He was spotted bowling in the side nets before the Guwahati encounter, but couldn't find a place in the playing eleven.

Nehra will also not take part in the IPL hereafter.

Source:
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  News: Guwahati, Trivandrum set for T20I debut during packed home season nairrk 1 501 08-02-2017 01:50 PM
Last Post: nairrk
  News: India to play five ODIs, one T20I in West Indies in June-July nairrk 0 648 05-17-2017 08:54 AM
  Yuvi,Raina,Nehra,Pant,Chahal,H.Pandya+ in indian Team vs England Mindy 1 816 01-07-2017 10:06 AM
Last Post: Mindy
  Update: BCCI to cancel New Zealand series: Reports nairrk 3 1,605 10-07-2016 10:52 AM
Last Post: mmadhankumar
  News: Binny, Shardul Dropped from India's Test Squad Against New Zealand nairrk 1 915 09-12-2016 02:52 PM
Last Post: Mindy
  Update: BCCI approves T20I series against West Indies in USA nairrk 0 786 08-02-2016 06:35 PM
  News: BCCI announces schedule for New Zealand series nairrk 1 1,375 08-02-2016 04:28 PM
Last Post: Karthik
  News: Fed up of shifting matches, BCCI plans to build own stadium in Delhi: Report nairrk 0 996 06-29-2016 02:40 PM
  News: No Day-Night Test for India during New Zealand visit nairrk 0 1,296 06-29-2016 08:58 AM
  Breaking News: India will play day-night Test against New Zealand this year: Anurag Thakur ShivRaJ 0 799 04-22-2016 04:33 PM
Last Post: ShivRaJ